High Risk Work Licence Training – Everything You Need to Know

high risk work licence training courses

What is a high-risk work licence?

Your High Risk Work Licence is a licence to perform high-risk work which is required if you work with high-risk equipment or plant. These licences are valid in every state and region. The issue of all High-Risk Work Licences (HRWL) is subject to assessment against National Units of Competency using the newly released National Assessment Instruments (NAIs).

Why are high-risk work licences required?

Construction is recognised as one of the most dangerous types of work, and workplace health and safety is the first priority for many building and construction firms when considering their work activities and the safety of their workers.

What are the eligibility criteria for a high-risk work licence?

Before a person can apply for a national High-Risk Work Licence, a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) must evaluate their training, abilities, and knowledge using the proper assessment instrument under practical workplace conditions.

When a participant has achieved competency for the unit, they are then able to make an application for the HRW licence class. These licenses are issued by the regulatory body in the state in which the licence was obtained.

What are the main types of high-risk work licences?

Crane and Hoist Licences

  • Boom type elevating work platform – WP
  • Concrete placing boom – PB
  • Slewing mobile crane 20t capacity – C2
  • Slewing mobile crane 60t capacity – C6
  • Slewing mobile crane 100t capacity – C1
  • Slewing mobile crane over 100t capacity – C0
  • Vehicle loading crane – CV
  • Non-slewing mobile crane – CN
  • Tower crane – CT

Forklift Truck licence – LF

Dogger – DG

Dogging work is the application of slinging techniques, including the selection and inspection of lifting gear, for moving a load using a crane, hoist or other plant configured for use as a crane or hoist; or guiding an operator of a hoist, crane, or other plant set for use as a lift or crane in the transfer of a load.

Basic Rigging – RB

Basic Rigging – the work covers particular hoists, structural steel erection, dogging work, placement of pre-cast concrete members of a structure, perimeter safety screens and shutters, mast climbers, safety nets and static lines, and cantilevered crane loading platforms.

Intermediate Rigging – RI

Intermediate Rigging – includes rigging work in the class Basic Rigging, all hoists, rigging of cranes, conveyors, dredges and excavators, tilt-slabs, demolition of structures or plant and dual lifts.

Advanced Rigging – RA

Advanced rigging (includes all intermediate rigging and involves suspended and fabricated hung scaffolds, flying foxes and cableways, gin poles and shear legs, guyed derricks, and structures)

Pressure Equipment Operation licences

They are being given for Standard boiler operator, advanced boiler operation, Reciprocating steam engine, and Turbine operation.

Scaffolding Licence

It includes the work in the construction, modification, or dismantling of a temporary structure, specially built to support platforms from which an object or a person could fall more than 4m. The licences are classified into three types, which are:

Advanced scaffolding (Hung scaffolds, including Suspended scaffolds, wire ropes or chains and scaffolds hanging from tubes)

Intermediate scaffolding (Cantilevered and spurred scaffolds, cantilevered crane-loading platforms, perimeter safety screens and shutters, barrow ramps, and sloping platforms, mast climbers tube and coupler scaffolds (including coupler covered ways, tube, and gantries)).

Why is it essential to work with a Registered Training Organisation (RTO)?

RTOs provide accredited VET qualifications.

The students are offered nationally approved training that equips them with everything that they require to succeed in their chosen industry area.

The RTO makes sure that the skills and knowledge taught are of high quality, and remain to be relevant to future employers and the industries involved.

What is the importance of health and safety laws?

Health and safety systems in the workplace reduce employee illnesses and injuries significantly. These schemes can help the employer and your employees understand the potential risks in your work environment.

Potential risks are rampant in almost every workplace environment. Chemicals, equipment, individual behaviours, and activities, and even furniture can likely cause harm or injury or employer and employees. You must follow particular hazardous material handling guidelines and have emergency and evacuation systems in place.

How long are high-risk work licences valid for in Australia?

A High-Risk Work Licence expires after every five years. One must not carry out any high-risk work until the licence is renewed.

Conclusion about High Risk Work Licence Training

The construction industry relies heavily on skilled people, and Momentum HRT is committed to playing an active part in training and assessing people to enable them to work safely in construction and mining, build on any experience and to become skilled and valued workers.

Momentum High Risk Training works in partnership with MyneSight Pty Ltd (RTO No. 31900)

Source: Work Safe Queensland ( as at 2 August 2018